Monday, October 5, 2015

To Tattoo or Not To Tattoo

Ok, so this is just my personal opinion about tattoos, but I share this opinion with many people.  I don't have any tattoos, and have contemplated getting one with my children's names, but have never been able to justify spending money on that when there are so many other important things I need.

I know tattoos are very popular among this generation, but in my generation, there were some men who had them, and the ones who had multiple tattoos generally had a reputation, and not exactly a good reputation.  And the only girls who had tattoos weren't exactly the "girl next door".  I know times have changed, but most people age 40+ still have those ideas.

Now I know lots of girls who have tattoos and they are fine young ladies, but at first glance, I still have that thought - "Yikes!" and have to force myself to overlook them and look at the person.  I try to be open-minded, but when you grow up with ideas it is hard to move past some of them.

I kind of get why you might get a tattoo with your children's name, or a loved one who has passed away, but most of what I see today is artistic.  And it seems like one of those things that when you get one, you want to get another, and another.

As a business owner, I suppose whether you have a tattoo is of no concern to me, except that in certain businesses they should be in a place where they can be concealed by your clothing.  I just can't picture a girl with a tattooed sleeve working in a fine jewelry shop, or a woman's clothing store.  I can't see a man with tattoos around his neck and down his arms greeting people at a funeral home.  There just seems to be many places that they aren't appropriate.

Most people I know who have tattoos get them in their teens and twenties.  So, to those people, I ask, "Why is it you want them?"  And I have to also wonder what they will look like when you're 40 or 50 or 60 and your skin sags and cellulite makes it's appearance. They are permanent, after all.  Will you still hold the same opinion about how great they are in 20 years?  Will your children ask why you have tattoes and someone else's mom or dad doesn't?  What will your answer be?

I guess my age shows - I just don't get it.

No comments:

Post a Comment