Friday, October 2, 2015

Let's Make Some Change!

A while back, I was at the grocery store and a young lady was the cashier.  My order totaled $6.80 and I gave her $7.00.  Seems like a simple transaction, doesn't it?  Not so. She somehow punched in the register that I had given her $20.00.  So she began getting my change - a ten, a couple of ones, and I said "That's not right.  You don't owe me that much change."  Sheer panic spread across her face as she began to call for a manager.  I said, "You owe me twenty cents."  She called for the manager again.  I said, "Twenty cents.  You owe me twenty cents."  Now she's talking to herself..."$6.80, and you gave me $7.00...and I put in twenty dollars..."  Again, I said, "Twenty cents.  You only owe me twenty cents."  After much thought and a conversation with the manager, who said, "Give her twenty cents", I got my twenty cents.

Again, I know we have great technology, but counting back change really isn't that hard.  And obviously, this girl had never learned it.  Why wouldn't you train all your employees to count back change if you own a retail establishment?

So, here's the deal.  You start with the amount charged and count backwards to reach the amount of cash you were given.  Let's say the total is $23.42, and the customer hands you a $50.  We start with the $23.42.  Three pennies puts you at $23.45.  One nickel then raises you to $23.50.  Two quarters now give you $24.00.  One dollar brings you to $25.00.  Two twenties has you at $45.00, and a five makes $50!  So the total change given is $26.58.  The register will tell you this is you input the correct amount of cash tendered.  But on the chance that you make a mistake entering, you need to know how to count back change.

What if your total is $23.42 and they hand you a $50 and two pennies?  In this case, you deduct the two pennies from the total you charged, making YOUR part $23.40.  Now count backwards again.  A dime makes $23.50, two quarters gets you to $24.00, a one, two twenties and a five takes you to the $50.

Not a big deal for us old timers, but I see this really frustrating young people!

No comments:

Post a Comment